Library of Congress

Authorities & Vocabularies

The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service

From Library of Congress Name Authority File


us: Little Rock Senior High School (Little Rock, Ark.)


  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • us: Little Rock (Ark.). Senior High School
  • Additional Information

    • Associated Locale

        Little Rock (Ark.)
  • Later Established Forms

  • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Earlier Established Forms

  • Sources

    • found: NUCMC data from Arkansas Hist. Comm. for Lincoln-Knox family material (supplement), 1842-1965 (Little Rock High School, Little Rock, Ark.; publications dated 1907-1917; preceded by Sherman, Scott Street, and Peabody schools, Little Rock High School opened at Fourteenth and Cumberland Streets, Little Rock, Ark., in 1905. In 1927, the school moved to the current building at Fourteenth and Park streets. It was renamed Little Rock Central High School in 1955. The school's stadium, Quigley Park, which opened in 1936, was named for Earl Quigley. He was a coach for the Tigers from 1914 to 1935. Before War Memorial Stadium was built in 1948, Quigley was used by college and university football teams including the Arkansas Razorbacks. According to the Little Rock School District, "It was not unusual for the Tigers to draw larger crowds to Quigley Stadium than the Razorbacks.")
    • found: Little Rock Central High School WWW site, Sept. 24, 2008 (Little Rock's first high school began in 1869 when it was called Sherman High School; it was located at 7th and Sherman Streets and was only a small wooden building; in 1885 the high school moved to 14th and Scott Streets and was renamed Scott Street High School, although, it was usually called "City High School"; in 1890, the high school was moved to West Capital and Gaines Street and renamed Peabody High School; in 1905, the high school moved back to 14th and Scott Streets, and the new school building was renamed Little Rock Senior High School; Little Rock Senior High School remained at 14th and Scott Streets until 1927, when it was moved 22 blocks west to 14th and Park Streets; Little Rock Senior High School's name remained the same after the fifth and final move; in 1953, the Little Rock School Board renamed the school Little Rock Central High School so that there would be less confusion when the district opened its second high school, Hall High, in 1957)
  • Change Notes

    • 2008-04-29: new
    • 2017-10-04: revised
  • Alternate Formats