Library of Congress

Authorities & Vocabularies

The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File

From Library of Congress Name Authority File

us: Eleutherian Mills-Hagley Foundation

  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • us: Greenville (Del.) Eleutherian Mills-Hagley Foundation
    • us: Eleutherian Mills-Hagley Foundation, Greenville, Del.
  • Addtional Information

    • Activity Start

        (edtf) 1952-11-03
    • Descriptor

        (lcsh) Nonprofit organizations
    • Associated Locale

        (naf) U.S.
    • Associated Locale

        (naf) Greenville (Del.)
    • Associated Language

    • Field of Activity

        (lcsh) Industrial museums
          (lcsh) Reaserch libraries
            (lcsh) Business--History
              (lcsh) Technology--History
                (lcsh) Economics--History
            • Related Terms

              • us: Eleutherian Mills Historical Library
              • us: Hagley Museum
              • us: Regional Economic History Research Center (Eleutherian Mills-Hagley Foundation)
            • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

            • Earlier Established Forms

                Eleutherian Mills-Hagley Foundation, Greenville, Del.Eleutherian Mills-Hagley Foundation, Greenville, Del.
            • Sources

              • found: Conference on American Economic Institutional Change, 1850-1873, and the Impact of the Civil War, Greenville, Del., 1964. Economic change in the Civil War era, 1965.
              • found: Phone call to Hagley Museum and Library, 8/23/84 (Eleutherian Mills-Hagley Foundation is parent body of Hagley Museum and Eleutherian Mills Historical Library, now called Hagley Museum and Library)
              • found: Eleutherian Mills-Hagley Foundation, Inc., archives, 1952- : (Eleutherian Mills-Hagley Foundation, Inc.; incorporated in Delaware November 3, 1952, by members of the du Pont family for the purpose of developing the site of the original du Pont powder mills as an industrial museum and historic site as a part of the sesquicentennial celebratrion of the founding of the mills in 1802; opened the Hagley Museum, May 1957; established the Eleutherian Mills Historical Library, July 1, 1961; sponsored the Hagley graduate fellowships in history and museum studies; in 1984, the Foundation adopted the "doing business as" name of "Hagley Museum and Library" to refer to its various public operatons; the names "Hagley Museum," and "Hagley Library" are also used for specific facilities and correspond to the Foundation's operating divisions; the institution specializes in the history of American business, technology, economic history, and their political and social contexts; a third unit called the "Regional Economic History Research Center" existed from 1975 to 1982 to offer long-term post-doctoral grants to scholars working on the economic history of the Middle Atlantic States, 1750-1850)
            • Change Notes

              • 1980-11-14: new
              • 2015-09-26: revised
            • Alternate Formats