Library of Congress

Authorities & Vocabularies

The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File

From Library of Congress Name Authority File


us: Bellevue Hospital



  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • us: Belle Vue Hospital
    • us: Bellevue Establishment
    • us: Bellevue Hospital, New York
    • us: New York (N.Y.). Bellevue Hospital
    • us: New York (N.Y.). Department of Hospitals. Bellevue Hospital
    • us: New York (N.Y.). Department of Public Charities and Correction. Bellevue Hospital
    • us: New York (N.Y.). Department of Public Welfare. Bellevue Hospital
  • Related Terms

  • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Earlier Established Forms

    • Bellevue Hospital, New York
  • Sources

    • found: Medical, surgical & obstetrical statistics of the Bellevue and Charity Hospitals, 1870: t.p. (Dept. of Public Charities and Correction of the City of New York)
    • found: Google Books, via WWW, Feb. 11, 2010: New York (N.Y.). Dept. of Health. Monthly bulleting, Jan. 1921, p. 8 (Bellevue Hospital; formed by the union of the Publick Workhouse and House of Correction in the City of New York, or Almshouse (est. 1736 as the first public hospital in the city) and Pesthouse (est. 1794 for patients with contagious diseases) [no publs. in LC database]; buildings at Belle Vue erected about 1816 on land purchased by the city; in the beginning Bellevue was a combination of workhouse, almshouse and hospital, but eventually the hospital became the prominent feature and the workhouse, almshouse and pesthouse were removed to Blackwell's Island; Bellevue Hospital became a general hospital, treating all cases except contagious diseases)
    • found: Carlisle, R.J. An account of Bellevue Hospital, 1893: p. 1, etc. (Bellevue Hospital; Belle Vue Hospital; Bellevue Establishment; originally the hospital department of the New-York City Almshouse, est. 1736 as a 6-bed infirmary on the site where City Hall now stands; about 1794 the city purchased the lease on the land and buildings at Belle Vue Place on the East River to house victims of yellow fever, which property was used during epidemics through about 1806 and known as Belle Vue Hospital; land at Belle Vue purchased by the city, 1811; cornerstone laid, July 1811; assemblage of buildings known as the Bellevue Establishment completed, Apr. 1816, consisting of two hospital pavilions and an almshouse; also included a penitentiary; fever hospital under direction of Bellevue physicans est. 1819 on Long Island; new fever hospital erected on Bellevue site, 1825; almshouse separated from hospital in 1826 but remained on site; penitentiary removed to Blackwell's Island, 1836; almshouse removed to Blackwell's Island, 1848)
    • found: Announcement, 1938/1939: t.p. (city of New York, Department of Hospitals, Bellevue Hospital)
  • Change Notes

    • 1980-09-29: new
    • 2013-03-14: revised
  • Alternate Formats