Library of Congress

Authorities & Vocabularies

The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service

From Library of Congress Name Authority File


Cutty Sark (Ship)


  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • us: Royal Museums Greenwich. Cutty Sark
    • us: Katti Sark (Ship)
  • Additional Information

  • Related Terms

  • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Sources

    • found: Villiers, A. J. The Cutty Sark, 1953
    • found: Cutty Sark - Ferreira, 2007: back cover (Between the years of 1895 and 1922, Cutty Sark as we know her today, was sailing under the Portuguese flag as Ferreira. At a later date she was sold to another Lisbon ship owner name Da Silva who changed her name to Maria de Amparo, but in 1923 Captain Wilfred Dowman bought the ship for Britain and gave her back the name Cutty Sark)
    • found: Royal Museums Greenwich. Annual review 2011/12: p.1 (the Cutty Sark is the last surviving tea clipper; in June 2011 Her Majesty The Queen formally approved Royal Museums Greenwich (RMG) as the new collective title for the National Maritime Museum, Queen's House, Royal Observatory, and Cutty Sark) p.8 (while still owned by the Cutty Sark Trust, the ship is now operated as part of Royal Museums Greenwich)
    • found: Royal Museums Greenwich website 12 June 2013: under Cutty Sark (location: Cutty Sark Clipper Ship, King William Walk, Greenwich, London SE10 9HT; history: launched 22 Nov. 1869; sold to J. Ferreira & Co. in 1895 and renamed the Ferreira; in 1922, sold to a new Portuguese owner who changed her name to Maria do Amparo; preserved for the nation in 1923 by Captain Wilfred Dowman who restored the ship to a close approximation of her appearance as a tea and wool clipper; berthed in Falmouth and, from 1938, in Greenhithe, finally arriving at her current resting place in Greenwich in 1954)
    • found: Wikipedia, 12 June 2013 (Cutty Sark; a British clipper ship built on the Clyde in 1869 for the Jock Willis shipping line; at Greenhithe, Cutty Sark acted as an auxiliary vessel to HMS Worcester for sail training drill until 1950; out of service: Dec. 1954; moved to a custom-built dry-dock at Greenwich in 1954; preserved as a museum ship; Cutty Sark Preservation Society set up in 1951; Cutty Sark Trust replaced the Society in 2000)
  • Change Notes

    • 1981-01-16: new
    • 2013-06-27: revised
  • Alternate Formats