Library of Congress

Authorities & Vocabularies

The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service

From Library of Congress Name Authority File


Winchester Cathedral


  • [The first Christian church in Winchester was built by Cenwalh son of Cynegils in approximately 645 A.D. It shortly thereafter became known as Old Minster, became a cathedral, and was led by Saxons until William the Conqueror invaded England in 1066. William replaced the last Saxon bishop with his own Norman chaplain, Walkelin. Old Minster was demolished, and a new church in the Norman Romanesque style was built. The new cathedral was consecrated in 1093, and the church building was completed in the early 16th century. Following the English Reformation of 1532 through 1534, Winchester Cathedral was re-founded as a cathedral in the new Church of England. It briefly returned to Catholicism under Mary Tudor in the 1550s, but then rejoined the Church of England. Winchester is currently the seat of the Bishop of Winchester and the center of the Diocese of Winchester.] http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/our-heritage/our-history/
  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Additional Information

    • Has Affiliation

        • Affiliation Address: 9 The Close , Winchester S023 9LS
        • Affiliation Address:
        • City: Winchester
        • Post Code: S023 9LS
        • Email: [email protected]
        • Source: Winchester Cathedral, WWW site, searched July 25, 2018
        • Source: http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/
    • Has Affiliation

        • Affiliation Start: 1093
        • Affiliation End: 1534~
        • Organization: Catholic Church
    • Has Affiliation

    • Associated Locale

    • Associated Language

    • Field of Activity

  • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Sources

    • found: Its Chartulary of Winchester cathedral, 1927.
    • found: Winchester Cathedral, WWW site, searched July 25, 2018:Our heritage; Our history (Winchester Cathedral; known as Old Minster [no publications in OCLC database] from approximately 645 A.D. through 1066; consecrated in 1093 by the Normans; joined the Church of England in approximately 1534) - http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/our-heritage/our-history/
  • General Notes

    • [The first Christian church in Winchester was built by Cenwalh son of Cynegils in approximately 645 A.D. It shortly thereafter became known as Old Minster, became a cathedral, and was led by Saxons until William the Conqueror invaded England in 1066. William replaced the last Saxon bishop with his own Norman chaplain, Walkelin. Old Minster was demolished, and a new church in the Norman Romanesque style was built. The new cathedral was consecrated in 1093, and the church building was completed in the early 16th century. Following the English Reformation of 1532 through 1534, Winchester Cathedral was re-founded as a cathedral in the new Church of England. It briefly returned to Catholicism under Mary Tudor in the 1550s, but then rejoined the Church of England. Winchester is currently the seat of the Bishop of Winchester and the center of the Diocese of Winchester.] http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/our-heritage/our-history/
  • Change Notes

    • 1980-06-24: new
    • 2018-07-28: revised
  • Alternate Formats