Library of Congress

Authorities & Vocabularies

The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service

From Library of Congress Name Authority File


Scripps Institution of Oceanography


  • [Scripps Institution of Oceanography is one of the oldest and largest centers for ocean and earth science research, public service, undergraduate and graduate training in the world. Founded in 1903 as the Marine Biological Association of San Diego, it changed its name to the Scripps Institution for Biological Research in 1912, and then to the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in 1925. It has been part of the University of California, San Diego since 1960.]
  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • us: SIO
    • us: University of California, San Diego. Scripps Institution of Oceanography
    • us: S.I.O.
  • Additional Information

  • Related Terms

  • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Earlier Established Forms

  • Sources

    • found: LC man. cat. (1912 property and mgt. of Marine Biological Station of San Diego transferred to regents of Univ. Of Calif. and name chged. to Scripps Institution for Biological Research; prior to June 30, 1923 converted to oceanographic research; Oct. 13, 1925 name chged. to Scripps Institution of Oceanography)
    • found: Wikipedia, Feb. 28, 2012: (Scripps Institution of Oceanography (sometimes referred to as SIO, Scripps Oceanography, or Scripps) in La Jolla, California, founded in 1903, is one of the oldest and largest centers for ocean and Earth science research, public service, undergraduate and graduate training in the world; Scripps is part of the University of California, San Diego; Scripps Institution of Oceanography was founded in 1903 as the Marine Biological Association of San Diego, an independent biological research laboratory, by University of California Zoology professor William Emerson Ritter, with support from local philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps and later her brother E. W. Scripps. They fully funded Scripps for the first several years. Scripps began institutional life in the boathouse of the Hotel del Coronado located on San Diego Bay. It re-located in 1905 to La Jolla on the head above La Jolla Cove, and finally in 1907 to its present location. In 1912 Scripps became part of the University of California and was renamed the "Scripps Institution for Biological Research." The name was changed to Scripps Institution of Oceanography in October 1925)
    • found: SIO timeline, Feb. 25, 2013: (On November 18, 1960, the UC Board of Regents establishes a San Diego campus of the University of California. Scripps Institution of Oceanography begins to confer degrees through the new UCSD) {http://scripps.ucsd.edu/img/timeline/}
  • General Notes

    • [Scripps Institution of Oceanography is one of the oldest and largest centers for ocean and earth science research, public service, undergraduate and graduate training in the world. Founded in 1903 as the Marine Biological Association of San Diego, it changed its name to the Scripps Institution for Biological Research in 1912, and then to the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in 1925. It has been part of the University of California, San Diego since 1960.]
  • Change Notes

    • 1980-01-17: new
    • 2013-03-06: revised
  • Alternate Formats