A.L. Bancroft & Company
A.L. Bancroft & Company
- Bancroft, A. L., & Co., pub.
- Bancroft & Company
- A.L. Bancroft and Company
Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes
Earlier Established Forms
Bancroft, A. L., & Co., pub.Bancroft, A. L., & Co., pub.
- found: Bancroft's, map of California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona, 1872: t.p. (A.L. Bancroft & Compy. booksellers & stationers San Francisco Cal.)
- found: Its Opening day. ... Bancroft's new building, 721 Market Street, San Francisco, July 30, 1870, 1870: p. 4 (A.L. Bancroft & Co.; H.H. Bancroft and A.L. Bancroft; established in 1856 to sell imported books and stationery; with the new building the company united all aspects of the trade, including printing and publishing, engraving, stamping, lithography, and binding, under one roof)
- found: Google Books, Apr. 5, 2016: Chandler, Robert J. San Francisco lithographer, 2014, p. 96 (A.L. Bancroft & Co., 1869-1886; publishers, importers, booksellers, stationers, printers, lithographers, engravers & binders)
- found: America's Historical Newspapers, Apr. 5, 2016: Daily News, San Jose, Calif., May 1, 1886 (A.L. Bancroft & Co.; 5 story building on Market Street, San Francisco, and all of its contents, destroyed by fire yesterday)
- found: OCLC, Apr. 5, 2016 (access point: A.L. Bancroft & Company; note: business associates were Hubert Howe Bancroft and his younger brother Albert Little Bancroft; the firm A.L. Bancroft and Co. came into existence in 1868 and H.H. Bancroft and Co. was phased out; the brothers continued their association until 1886 when a fire and personal differences caused them to split; Albert went on to co-found the firm of Bancroft-Whitney)
- found: MWA/NAIP files, Apr. 5, 2016 (access point: A.L. Bancroft & Company; note: besides co-founding Bancroft-Whitney, law publishers, A.L. Bancroft continued general publishing and bookselling under the name A.L. Bancroft & Company; ads in various newspapers locate the firm at 607 Market St. in Dec. 1886, and later at 132 Post St., San Francisco; in 1886 H.H. Bancroft withdrew his historical publications from A.L. Bancroft & Company and became president of a new firm, The History Company, established to publish his writings; he rebuilt on the Market St. site where the Bancroft Company, sometimes Bancroft & Co., was concerned with general bookselling and publishing)
- 1980-03-31: new
- 2016-04-21: revised