Library of Congress

Authorities & Vocabularies

The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File

From Library of Congress Name Authority File


us: N. Currier (Firm)


  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • us: Currier (N.) (Firm)
    • us: Currier (Firm)
    • us: N. Currier's Lith.
    • us: Lith. of N. Currier
  • Additional Information

    • Activity Start

        (edtf) 1835
    • Activity End

        (edtf) 1856
    • Descriptor

        (lcsh) Printmakers
    • Descriptor

        (lcsh) Lithographers
    • Associated Locale

        (naf) New York (N.Y.)
  • Additonal Related Forms

    • us: Currier & Ives
    • us: Stodart & Currier
  • Earlier Established Forms

      Currier (N.) (Firm)Currier (N.) (Firm)
  • Sources

    • found: Pratt, J. L. Currier & Ives chronicles of America, 1974?, c1968.
    • found: Morris Canal and Banking Company. Report, 1837: map (N. Currier's Lith.)
    • found: LC data base, 11/15/85 (hdg.: Currier (N.) (Firm); usage: N. Currier)
    • found: MWA/NAIP files (usage: N. Currier's Lith.; Lith. of N. Currier)
    • found: Wikipedia, July 6, 2016 (Currier and Ives; Currier and Ives was a successful American printmaking firm headed by Nathaniel Currier (1813-1888) and James Merritt Ives (1824-1895); based in New York City from 1834 to 1907, the prolific firm produced prints from paintings by fine artists as black and white lithographs that were hand colored; Nathaniel Currier apprenticed in the Boston lithography shop of William and John Pendleton; in 1833 at twenty years of age, he moved to Philadelphia to do contract work for M.E.D. Brown, a noted engraver and printer; Currier's early lithographs were issued under the name of Stodart & Currier, a result of the partnership he created in 1834 with a local New York printmaker named Stodart; the two men specialized in "job" printing and made a variety of print products, including music manuscripts; dissatisfied with the poor economic return of their business venture, Currier ended the partnership in 1835 and set up shop alone, working as "N. Currier, Lithographer" until 1856; the name Currier & Ives first appeared in 1857, when Currier invited James Merritt Ives, the company's bookkeeper and accountant, to become his partner)
  • Change Notes

    • 1980-10-07: new
    • 2016-07-08: revised
  • Alternate Formats