- Ermete, Trimegisto
- Ermete, Trismegisto
- Hermes Mercurius, Trismegistus
- Hermès, Trismégiste
- Hermes, Trismegistos
- Hermes Trismegistus.
- Mercurius, Trismegistus
- Thoth, The Atlantean
- Trismegistus, Hermes
- هرمس، الحكيم
Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes
Earlier Established Forms
- Hermes Trismegistus.
- found: Encyc. Brit. (Hermes Trismegistos)
- found: Harper's dict. of class. lit. (Hermes Trismegistus; Hermès Trismégiste)
- found: Corpus Hermeticum. Latin & Greek. Ermou tou Trismegistou Poimandrēs ... Mercurij Trismegisti Poemander ... 1554.
- found: Oxford classical dict.: 2nd ed. (Hermes Trismegistus; a clumsy translation of Egyptian "Thoth the very great"; when so named, Thoth is the reputed author of the philosophico-religious treatises known collectively as Hermetica, also of sundry works on astrology, magic, and alchemy; these are invariably late [and are] Egyptian [only] in the sense of being produced in Egypt by men of Greek speech)
- found: Dict. of scientific biog. (Hermes Trismegistus; philosophy, astrology, magic, alchemy; the ancient Greeks identified their god Hermes with the Egyptian Thoth and gave him the epithet Trismegistus or "Thrice-Greatest"; a vast literature in Greek was [incorrectly] ascribed to Hermes Trismegistus (between 20,000 and 36, 525 works); the so-called Corpus Hermeticum is the best known; most of its 17 or 18 works were probably written in the 2nd cent.)
- found: LC PA classification schedule: PA3998.H5-7 (Hermes Trismegistus; gives considerable guidance on background and titles of works attributed to the "person" but this schedule is no longer valid as authority for entry under Hermes Trismegistus as author of any)
- found: The emerald tablets of Thoth-the-Atlantean, c2002.
[Virtually all literature ascribed to this name is incorrectly so attributed. Hermes Trismegistus is to be used only as added entry in accordance with AA21.4C1 (treating the name as that of a real person; although technically it is not the name of a real person in origin, it became regarded as such from early times)] [Machine-derived non-Latin script reference project.] [Non-Latin script reference not evaluated.] [Individual works attributed to Hermes Trismegistus should be provided uniform titles, if appropriate (e.g., as 130, 630, or 730) and a simple added (600 or 700) entry for Hermes Trismegistus provided (that is, do not make author-title added entries): lg02 2006-02-28; CPSO consulted.]
- 1980-11-03: new
- 2012-09-26: revised