Library of Congress

Authorities & Vocabularies

The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File (LCNAF)

From Library of Congress Name Authority File


Darwin (N.T.)


  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Additional Information

  • Use For

  • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Earlier Established Forms

  • Sources

    • found: BGN 4/18/89(Darwin, ppl, 12°28ʹS, 130°50ʹE; variant: Palmerston)
    • found: NT place names register, via WWW, May 12, 2014(Darwin, city, Latitude: -12°27ʹS (Decimal degrees -12.461534) Longitude: 130°50ʹE (Decimal degrees 130.842442); Surveyor-General Goyder when he established the settlement in 1869 named the town - Palmerston - but by 1900 this had reverted to Port Darwin and later to simply Darwin. In 1911, when the Commonwealth relieved the State of South Australia of the economic burden the Territory had become, Darwin was adopted as the official name of the capital.)
    • found: Wikipedia, May 12, 2014:Darwin, Northern Territory (Darwin is the capital city of the Northern Territory, Australia; 12°27ʹ0ʺS 130°50ʹ0ʺE; on 9 September 1839, HMS Beagle sailed into Darwin harbour during its surveying of the area. John Clements Wickham named the region "Port Darwin" in honour of their former shipmate Charles Darwin, who had sailed with them on the ship's previous voyage which had ended in October 1836. The settlement there became the town of Palmerston in 1869, and was renamed Darwin in 1911) Palmerston, Northern Territory (Palmerston is a planned satellite city of Darwin; Palmerston is currently the fastest growing city in the Northern Territory; Palmerston was the name chosen in 1864 for the capital of the Northern Territory by the South Australian Government (which was then responsible for its administration); The first site, as chosen by Boyle Travers Finniss at Escape Cliffs near the mouth of the Adelaide River, on the coast of Adam Bay on the western side of the Cape Hotham peninsula in 1864, was abandoned in 1867 and a second laid out by Surveyor-General George Goyder near Port Darwin in 1869. The town was officially renamed Darwin in April 1911 after responsibility for the Northern Territory passed to the Commonwealth of Australia; The land for a new satellite city of Darwin was acquired in 1971 by the Australian government after concerns of under-supply of residential land in Darwin. The site was selected as the land was adjacent to existing transportation corridors. The decision to proceed with the development was made in 1980 and Palmerston was selected as the name for the new city)
  • Change Notes

    • 1980-12-17: new
    • 2017-08-18: revised
  • Alternate Formats