Library of Congress

Authorities & Vocabularies

The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File (LCNAF)

From Library of Congress Name Authority File


Chernivt︠s︡i (Ukraine)


  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • Chernovyt︠s︡i (Ukraine)
    • Czerniowce (Ukraine)
    • Chernovit︠s︡y (Ukraine)
    • Cernăuți (Ukraine)
    • Cherniztsi (Ukraine)
    • Tschernowitz (Ukraine)
    • Chernovit︠s︡ (Ukraine)
    • Tsʹernovits (Ukraine)
    • Czernowitz (Ukraine)
    • Černivci (Ukraine)
    • Ṭshernoṿits (Ukraine)
    • Tchernivtsi (Ukraine)
  • Additional Information

    • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

    • Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

    • Earlier Established Forms

    • Sources

      • found: Telephone call to BGN, 1/15/82(approved form Chernovt︠s︡y; ppl.; 48°18ʹN, 25°56ʹE; earlier names Cernăuți and Czernowitz; variants Chernovit︠s︡y, Tschernowitz, Cherniztsi, Chernovit︠s︡)
      • found: Ukraïna [MAP] 1992:(Chernivt︠s︡i)
      • found: SSSR, admin.-territ. delenie, 1977:p. 344 (Chernovt︠s︡y in Chernovit︠s︡kai︠a︡ pblastʹ; 1st mentioned in 1407 chronicles as Chernovit︠s︡y; from 1944 to present known as Chernovt︠s︡y)
      • found: Ukr. rad. ent︠s︡ykl.:v 12, p. 260 (Chernivt︠s︡y (Chernovyt︠s︡i), town on river Prut; 1st mentioned in 1408 when it was part of the Moldavsʹke kni︠a︡zivstvo. In the 1630's it became part of the Turkish Empire. By 1774 it had become part of the Austrian (later Austro-Hungarian) Empire. In 1918 it was ceded to Romania until 1940, when as part of Bukovina it was reunited with Ukraine)
      • found: Encyc. of Ukraine:v. 1, p. 433-437 (Chernivtsi [Černivci (German: Czernowitz; Rumanian: Cernăuți: The historical capital and the political, cultural, and religious center of Bukovyna and eventually of Chernivtsi oblast. The area was inhabited as early as the 2nd-5th century A.D. During the Kievan Rus period the area was inhabited by White Croatians and Tivertsians. In the middle of the 14th century Chernivtsi belonged to Moldavia. Between 1497 and 1672 the town was sacked several times by Poles, Turks, and Tatars. In 1538 Chernivtsi came under Turkish control. During the Russo-Turkish War of 1768-74 Chernivtsi was occupied by Russian troops but eventually was annexed by Austria under whose control it remained from 1774-1918. During WWI the city was occupied at different times by Russian, Rumanian and Ukrainian troops. Finally the city was occupied by Rumanian troops and on 28 Nov. 1918 Chernivtsi became part of Romania which held the city (except from June 1940 to July 1941) until 29 March 1944 when it was occupied by Soviet troops. The city has been part of Ukraine since 1944/1945)
      • found: Demchenko, V. G. Chernovt︠s︡y, 1981:t.p. (Chernovt︠s︡y) added t.p. (Cernăuți, Chernovtsy)
      • found: Avneri, A. Ḳehilat Tsʹernovits, c1971:t.p. (Tsʹernovits)
      • found: Col. Lipp. gaz., 1962(Chernovtsy; German, Czernowitz; Romanian, Cernăuți; capital of Chernovtsy oblast, Ukrainian SSR)
      • found: ShtetlSeeker, 08-11-00:(Chernivtsi 4818 2556; 253.2 miles SW of Kiev; variants: Czernowitz, Chernovitsy, Chernovtsy, Czerniowce, Czernowitz, Tschernowitz)
      • found: Tsum yoyvl fun der Ershṭer Yidisher shprakh-ḳonferents in Ṭshernoṿits, 1958.
      • found: Le silence en littérature, 2013:p. 5 (Tchernivtsi, Ukraine)
      • notfound: LC data base, 08-09-00: (hdg.: Cernăuți (Romania);Telephone call to BGN, 1/18/82 (Czernowitz, earlier name of Cernăuți; 48° 18ʹ N, 25° 56ʹ E);Col. Lipp. gaz., 1962 (Chernovtsy; German, Czernowitz; Romanian, Cernăuți; capital of Chernovtsy oblast, Ukrainian SSR; rose to importance under Austrian rule (1775-1918) when capital of Bukovina);Societatea Academică "Junimea" din Cernăuți, 1997: t.p. verso (Tchernovtsy);Encyc. Brit., 15th ed. Bukovina: E. Eur. terr. divided since 1947 between Romania & Soviet Union; acquired its own name & identity in 1775 when ceded to Austria by the Turks; at first admin. as part of Galicia, then became a duchy and separate crownland within Austro-Hungarian Empire, 1849-1918; capital Chernovtsy (Czernowitz, Cernăuți); Romania gained control of whole province in 1919; northern part occupied by Soviets in World War II and officially became part of Ukraine in 1947)
    • Editorial Notes

      • [For 1944- headings only; Old catalog heading: Chernovt︠s︡y, Ukraine]
    • Change Notes

      • 1982-04-29: new
      • 2013-11-14: revised
    • Alternate Formats