Library of Congress

Authorities & Vocabularies

The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File (LCNAF)

From Library of Congress Name Authority File


Charlotte Amalie (United States Virgin Islands)


  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • Amalienborg (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Amalienburg (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Charlotte Amalia (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Di Dorp (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Dorp (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Het Dorp (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Savan (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Scharlotte Amelia (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Tap House (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Tap Hus (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Taphouse (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Taphuis (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Taphus (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Taphuus (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Taphys (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Tappus (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Wirtshaus (United States Virgin Islands)
    • Zapfhaus (United States Virgin Islands)
  • Additional Information

  • Related Terms

  • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Earlier Established Forms

    • Charlotte Amalie
    • Charlotte Amalie (V.I.)
  • Sources

    • found: GeoNames, algorithmically matched, 2009(ppl; 18°20ʹ31ʺN 064°55ʹ51ʺW)
    • found: Wikipedia, August 13, 2015(Charlotte Amalie, U.S. Virgin Islands; Charlotte Amalie, located on St. Thomas, is the capital and largest city of the U.S. Virgin Islands, founded in 1666 as Taphus [no publications in OCLC] (meaning "beer houses" or "beer halls"). In 1691, the town was renamed to Amalienborg (in English Charlotte Amalie) after Charlotte Amalie of Hesse-Kassel (1650-1714), queen consort to King Christian V of Denmark; Before the time of the Danish West Indies (1754-1917), the city was known as Taphus for its many beer halls. In 1691 the town received a more respectable name by being named Amalienborg (in English Charlotte Amalie) in honor of Danish king Christian V's wife, Charlotte Amalie of Hesse-Kassel (1650-1714). Between 1921 and 1936, the city was named St. Thomas. In 1936 it was renamed Charlotte Amalie; 18°21ʹN 64°57ʹW)
    • found: CIA The world factbook website, August 13, 2015(under Virgin Islands: capital: Charlotte Amalie; geographic coordinates: 18 21 N, 64 56 W)
    • found: GNIS, August 13, 2015(Charlotte Amalie, populated place, variant names: Amalienborg; Amalienburg; Charlotte Amalia; Di Dorp; Dorp; Het Dorp; Saint Thomas; Saint Thomas City; Sanct Thomas; Savan; Scharlotte Amelia; Tap House; Tap Hus; Taphuis; Taphus; Taphuus; Taphys; Tappus; Wirtshaus; Zapfhaus; St. Thomas, Virgin Islands; 18.3419004 -64.9307007 18°20ʹ31ʺN 064°55ʹ51ʺW)
    • found: Geographic dictionary of the Virgin Islands of the United States, 1925:page 53 (Charlotte Amalia: For 248 years the official name of the City of Saint Thomas; the municipality is incorporated under this name. In Danish Government documents, since before 1776, "Amalienborg" is found regularly. Van Keulen (1719) shows "Het Dorp Scharlotte Amelia" (The Town Charlotte Amelia). See further under Saint Thomas) page 67 (Dorp; Dutch, in Creole phrase "di Dorp," meaning "the Village" of Charlotte Amalia or St. Thomas) pages 168-169 (St. Thomas; City, port, post office, cable station, chief and only incorporated town on St. Thomas Island, and seat of government of the Virgin Islands of the United States; Iversens' expedition established a permanent colony in 1672. Christiansfort was erected; about a sailors' inn and "taphouse" arose a village (Dorp, Dorf), later becoming "the city" (Byen), long vulgarly called "Tappus" (Taphus, Taphys, Taphuis, Zapfhaus, Wirtshaus), but christened by King Christian V, in honor of his consort, her Royal Highness "Charlotte Amalia." "Amalienborg" was the officially used briefer synonym. But popular usage established the name "Saint Thomas," which was finally adopted for the post office, by the U.S. Geographic Board, January 5, 1921) page 187 (Tappus; Long-time colloquial name of Charlotte Amalia, now Saint Thomas City. From Danish "Taphuus," Dutch "Taphuis," German "Zapfhaus" (Wirtshaus), English "Taphouse." Spelled by Høst, "Taphys, Taphuus")
  • Change Notes

    • 1982-06-09: new
    • 2015-09-11: revised
  • Alternate Formats