Bosworth, Stephen W.
Bosworth, Stephen W.
- (edtf) 1939-12-04
- (edtf) 2016-01-04
- Organization: United States. Foreign Service
- Organization: Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
- Organization: United States-Japan Foundation
- Organization: Korean Peninsula Energy Development Organization
Field of Activity
Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes
- found: His The democratic ideal and U.S. national security, 1984: t.p. (Stephen W. Bosworth, Ambassador to the Philippines)
- found: Washington post WWW site, viewed Jan. 7, 2016 (Stephen W. Bosworth, a three-time U.S. ambassador, died Jan. 4  at his home in Boston; he was 76; at the time of his death, Mr. Bosworth was chairman of the U.S.-Korea Institute at the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University; from 2001 to 2013, he had served as dean of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University in Medford, Mass.; served under President Bill Clinton as U.S. ambassador to South Korea, and under President Obama as special envoy to North Korea; joined the Foreign Service in 1961; rose through the State Department ranks as an economics officer and assumed his first ambassadorial appointment, in Tunisia, in 1979; spent two years in Tunisia before being persuaded by George P. Shultz, secretary of state under President Ronald Reagan, to accept the ambassadorship to the Philippines in 1984; left the Philippines in 1987 and became president of the United States-Japan Foundation, a grant-making institution, for nearly a decade; But he remained active in diplomacy as executive director of the Korean Peninsula Energy Development Organization, a group created to help implement an ill-fated 1994 agreement between the United States and North Korea in which Pyongyang agreed to end its nuclear weapons program in exchange for infusions of fuel and the construction of two nuclear power plants; served as ambassador to South Korea from 1997 to 2001 and then as special representative for North Korea from 2009 to 2011; Stephen Warren Bosworth was born Dec. 4, 1939, in Grand Rapids, Mich.)
- 1984-12-14: new
- 2016-01-07: revised