Library of Congress

Authorities & Vocabularies

The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File

From Library of Congress Name Authority File


us: Military Intelligence Service Language School (U.S.)


  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • us: MISLS
    • us: United States. Military Intelligence Service Language School
    • us: United States. War Department. Military Intelligence Service Language School
  • Variants

    • us: MISLS
    • us: United States. Military Intelligence Service Language School
    • us: United States. War Department. Military Intelligence Service Language School
  • Later Established Forms

  • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Earlier Established Forms

      Fourth Army Intelligence School (U.S.)Fourth Army Intelligence School (U.S.)
  • Sources

    • found: Yaban gogai, Sept.-Oct. 1945: (name not given); Nov. 1945: p. 1 (MISLS; Military Intelligence Service Language School; Fort Snelling, Minn.); May 1946: p. 1 ([Army Language School] to be moved to the Presidio in Monterey)
    • found: The Military Intelligence Service Language School, 1945?: p. 2, etc. (11-1-1941, Fourth Army Intelligence School had started operations at the Presidio of San Francisco; 1942, War Dept. decided to place school under its direct jurisdiction and re-establish it at Camp Savage, Minn., as the Military Intelligence Service Language School; 1944, moved to Fort Snelling)
    • found: The Army Almanac, 1950 (Fourth Army Intelligence School; mission, to train military personnel in foreign languages prescribed by the Dept. of the Army; estab. on 12/1/1941 at the Presidio of Monterey, Calif.; 5/25/1942, the War Dept. placed the school under its direct jurisdiction and reestablished it at Camp Savage, Minn., naming it the Military Intelligence Service Japanese Intelligence School [no publ. in L.C. data base]; 7/6/1942 changed its name to Military Intelligence Service Language School; 8/15/1944, the sch. was transferred to Fort Snelling, Minn., where it remained until 6/11/1946, when Fort Snelling was deactivated, returned to the West Coast and stationed at the Presidio of Monterey; 9/1/1947, changed its name to Army Language School)
  • Change Notes

    • 1987-06-25: new
    • 2013-03-18: revised
  • Alternate Formats