The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File (LCNAF)

Thomas Y. Crowell Company


  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • Thomas Y. Crowell, Publishers
    • Crowell, Publishers
    • Thomas Y. Crowell & Co.
    • T.Y. Crowell (Publisher)
  • Additional Information

    • Use For

    • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

    • Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

    • Earlier Established Forms

      • Thomas Y. Crowell & Co.
    • Sources

      • found: Chinn, G. The Garrett Wade book of woodworking tools, c1979:t.p. (Thomas Y. Crowell, Publishers; establ. 1834, New York)
      • found: Presidential primaries, c1967:t.p. (Thomas Y. Crowell Company)
      • found: The Fitch Club, c1885:t.p. (Thomas Y. Crowell & Co., no. 13 Astor Place, New York)
      • found: Chadwick, C. The cactus, 1925:imprint on t.p. (Thomas Y. Crowell Company)
      • found: Wikipedia, searched September 21, 2012(Thomas Y. Crowell Co. was a publishing company founded by Thomas Y. Crowell. The company began as a bookbindery founded by Benjamin Bradley in 1834. Crowell operated the business after Bradley's death in 1862 and eventually purchased the company from Bradley's widow in 1870. The company began publishing books in 1876, and in 1882 T. Irving Crowell joined his father in the business. Jeremiah Osborne Crowell became the sales manager. In 1909, after Thomas Y. Crowell died, T. Irving Crowell became the company's president. Collier was purchased by Crowell in 1919. Then in 1937, after T. Irving Crowell retired, the third generation Robert L. Crowell took over and moved towards publishing trade books and biographies. They were sold to Dun & Bradstreet in 1968. In 1978, the company was sold to Harper & Row, who purchased Lippincott and combined the two into Crowell & Lippincott.)
      • found: The Lucile Project, retrieved September 21, 2012Crowell occupied 744 Broadway in 1876; moved in 1881 to Clinton Hall (13 Astor Place?); to 46 East 14th in 1893; and when the Boston bindery and 46 East 14th leases expired together in 1900, moved to 426-428 Broadway [where it remain until 1926 when removed to 27th Street and 4th Avenue].
      • found: OCLC, searched March 14, 2011(usage: Thomas Y. Crowell Company; Thomas Y. Crowell Col.; Thomas Y. Crowell & Co.; Thomas Y. Crowell, Publishers; predominant usage Thomas Y. Crowell Company)
      • found: The works of William Shakespeare, 1878:imprint on t.p. (New York: Published by T.Y. Crowell, no. 744, Broadway)
    • Change Notes

      • 1988-07-22: new
      • 2016-02-12: revised
    • Alternate Formats