Library of Congress

Authorities & Vocabularies

The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File (LCNAF)

From Library of Congress Name Authority File


Lubny (Ukraine)


  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • Lubni (Ukraine)
    • Lubnui (Ukraine)
    • Лубни (Ukraine)
  • Additional Information

    • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

    • Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

    • Earlier Established Forms

      • Lubny, Russia (City)
    • Sources

      • found: Pivdenno-Zakhidne aeroheodezychne pidpryi͡emstvo. Ekspedyt͡sii͡a no. 246. Lubny, plan mista i raĭonu, 1991.
      • found: Ukraïna [MAP], 1992:(Lubny, city in Poltavsʹka oblastʹ)
      • found: Encyc. of Ukraine:v. 3, p. 196 (Lubni or Lubny, a city and raion center in Poltava oblast. It was founded as a fortified frontier town in 988 by Prince Volodymyr Sviatoslavych of Kiev. Lubni was destroyed by the Mongols in 1239. Rebuilt in the latter half of the 16th century by the Wiśniowiecki family, Lubni was granted the rights of Magdeburg Law. During 1637-8 the town was a center of Cossack-peasant unrest. It became a regimental capital of the Hetman state (1648, 1658-1781) and then a county town in Poltava gubernia in the Russian Empire (1802-1917))
      • found: LC database 8-10-95(hdg.: Lubny, Russia (City))
      • found: BLC:v. 202, p. 3 (Lubnui)
      • found: Russian Brockhaus:v. 18, p. 55 (Lubny, ui͡ezdnyĭ gorod in the Poltavskai͡a gubernīi͡a. First mentioned in historical sources of 1107. A Cossack army was defeated there by Polish forces in 1596. Since 1873 it has been part of the Kīevskoe nami͡estnichestvo (from 1797 it had been part of the Malorossīĭskai͡a gubernīi͡a, and since 1802 the town has been part of the Poltavskai͡a gubernīi͡a))
      • found: Rad. ent͡sykl. istoriï Ukraïny:v. 3, p. 33 (Lubny, a city in the Poltavsʹka olbastʹ, it was part of Kievan Rus', and was mentioned in the Hypatian Chronicles of 1107. It was destroyed by the Mongols in 1239 and not rebuilt until the Ukrainian Vyshnevet͡sʹky magnates in the second half of the 16th century, where it served as a fortified settlement for Left-Bank Ukraine. From 1658-1781 Lubny served as a center for the Lubensʹkyĭ polk. From 1782 Lubny served as a povit town in the Kyïvsʹke namisnyt͡stvo and from 1802 it was part of the Poltavsʹka hubernii͡a. In Jan. 1918 Soviet power was established there but in March of the same year the town was seized by Austro-Hungarian forces. During 1918-1919 the city was fought over by White Army and Red Army forces until Dec. 1919. From 1923 to 1930 Lubny was the raion center of the Lubensʹkyĭ okruh, and since 1937 it has been the raion center of the Poltavsʹka oblastʹ)
      • found: BGN gaz. USSR, 2nd ed., 1970(Lubny, POPL, 50°01ʹN 33°00ʹE, in Ukr. SSR)
    • Editorial Notes

      • [Non-Latin script reference not evaluated.]
    • Change Notes

      • 1995-08-10: new
      • 2019-03-04: revised
    • Alternate Formats