Library of Congress

Authorities & Vocabularies

The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File (LCNAF)

From Library of Congress Name Authority File


Bermondsey Abbey (London, England)


  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • Abbey of St. Saviour (London, England)
    • St. Saviour's Abbey (London, England)
    • St. Saviour Bermondsey (Abbey : London, England)
    • Bermondsey Priory (London, England)
    • Monastery of Bermondsey (London, England)
    • Monasterium de Bermundesia (London, England)
    • Monasterium de Bermundeseia (London, England)
    • Priory of St. Saviour, Bermondsey (London, England)
    • St. Saviour's Priory (London, England)
  • Additional Information

  • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Sources

    • found: Receipt from James Tyrell to the Abbot of St. Saviour's [manuscript], 1498 November 4
    • found: Clarke, E.T. Bermondsey, 1901 [via Google books, 1 Dec 2009]:p. 5 (Abbey of St. Saviour) index (Bermondsey Abbey)
    • found: Wikipedia [27 Nov 2009](Bermondsey Abbey was an English Benedictine monastery; centered on what is now Bermondsey Square, the site of Bermondsey Market, Bermondsey in the London Borough of Southwark; dedicated to St. Saviour)
    • found: Patrick, Pip. The "obese medieval monk", 2014:p. 63 (St. Saviour's Abbey, Bermondsey; Cluniac; was south of the Thames in Southwark) p. 67 (St. Saviour's; St. Saviour Bermondsey; originally founded as a Cluniac priory in 1089, when the manor of Bermondsey was granted to the Cluniac priory of La Charité-sur-Loire by William II; by late 13th [i.e., 14th] century, in the midst of the Hundred Years War, ties with French mother houses were significantly weakened and control transferred to the English monarchy; in 1399, Richard II "promoted" Bermondsey from a priory [no access point found in OCLC database, 8 April 2014] to an abbey, the same status as Cluny itself, which made it harder for La Charité and Cluny to influence Bermondsey)
    • found: OCLC, 8 April 2014(access points: Bermondsey Abbey (London, England), Bermondsey Abbey, Abbey of St. Saviour (Bermondsey, London, England); usages: monasterii de Bermundesia, monasterii de Bermundeseia, St. Saviour's; usage as subject: Monastery of Bermondsey)
    • found: British history online, 8 April 2014:House of Cluniac monks: Abbey of Bermondsey (priory of St. Saviour's, Bermondsey; Bermondsey; founded in the year 1082 for monks of the Cluniac order by Alwin Child, a citizen of London; a colony from the important house of St. Mary, Charité-sur-Loire, arrived to take possession of the new settlement on 16 April 1089; rent charges in London augmented by the gift of the manor of Bermondsey by William Rufus [William II], the nucleus of all future possessions; from 1381 onwards, the house, while remaining true to the Cluniac rule, ceased to owe temporal allegiance to the abbey of Cluny, or the priory of La Charité, and became a conventual chapter electing its own superior; the surrender of the abbey was accomplished on 1 January 1537-8 [Gregorian 1538]; from Victoria county history, A history of the County of Surrey, v. 2, 1967, p. 64-77)
    • found: Wikipedia, 8 April 2014(Bermondsey Abbey; an English Benedictine monastery; centred on what is now Bermondsey Square, the site of Bermondsey Market, Bermondsey, in the London Borough of Southwark, southeast London, England; precursor: an earlier monastery is known to have existed at Bermondsey before 715, likely continued at least until the 9th-century Viking invasions; in 1082, according to the "Annales Monasterii de Bermundeseia," a monastery was founded at Bermondsey by one Alwinus Child, with royal licence; highly likely that it was on the site of the earlier monastery; new monastery was dedicated to St Saviour; royal support for the new foundation continued with King William Rufus' gift of the royal estate at Bermondsey, in either 1089 or 1090; established as an alien, Cluniac priory through the arrival in 1089 of four monks from St Mary's of La Charité-sur-Loire; remained a Cluniac priory until the late 14th century; in 1380 Richard Dunton, the first English prior, paid to have Bermondsey's establishment naturalised; it set the priory on the path to independent status as an abbey, divorced from both La Charité and Cluny, which it achieved in 1390; in the Dissolution of the Monasteries under Henry VIII, the abbey was handed over by the last abbot to the king in 1536)
  • Change Notes

    • 2009-12-08: new
    • 2014-04-30: revised
  • Alternate Formats