The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File (LCNAF)

Cole, George E. (George Edward), 1879-1957


  • [Trained in Arts and Mining at McGill University in Montreal, he worked in the mining industry in British Columbia and Ontario, teaching in the School of Mines at Haileybury, Ontario from 1913 to 1915. In the latter year, he joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force and served in France and Belgium, winning promotion to the rank of Captain. Upon his discharge in 1919, he returned to Haileybury. He joined the Ontario Department of Mines in 1920 and worked as a mine inspector. He came to Manitoba in 1928, at the suggestion of R. C. Wallace, to become Chief Inspector of mines in Manitoba. With the transfer of natural resources from the federal government to Manitoba in 1930, he was appointed Director of the Mines Branch in the newly established Department of Mines and Natural Resources, holding the position until his retirement in November 1945. He served as Vice-President (1933-34) and President (1936-37) of the Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, being made a Life Member in 1945. He was also a Life Member of the Engineering Institute of Canada, and Chairman of its Winnipeg Branch (1930-31). He served two terms as President of the Professional Engineers of Manitoba (1941, 1944). He was a member of the Masons and the Canadian Legion. He died at Winnipeg on 11 December 1957 and was buried at Clarence, Ontario.]

  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Additional Information

    • Birth Date

        1879
    • Death Date

        19571211
    • Has Affiliation

        • Affiliation Start: 1913
        • Affiliation End: 1915
        • Organization: School of Mines at Haileybury, Ont.
    • Has Affiliation

        • Affiliation Start: 1920
        • Affiliation End: 1928
        • Organization: Ontario Department of Mines
    • Has Affiliation

        • Affiliation Start: 1930
        • Affiliation End: 1945
        • Organization: Mines Branches of the Department of Mines and Natural Resources of Manitoba
    • Has Affiliation

        • Organization: Canadian Institue of Mining and Metallurgy
    • Has Affiliation

        • Organization: Engineering Institute of Canada
    • Death Place

        Winnipeg, Man.
    • Associated Locale

        Canada
    • Associated Locale

        Haileybury, Ont.
    • Associated Locale

        Man.
    • Associated Locale

        Ont.
    • Gender

        male
    • Associated Language

        eng
    • Field of Activity

    • Occupation

        Civil servants
    • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

    • Sources

      • found: Papers read before the Historical and Scientific Society of Manitoba. Series III, number 5, 1950:page 82 (Mr. George E. Cole was director of the Mines Branches of the Department of Mines and Natural Resources of Manitoba from its inception in 1930 to his retirement in 1945.)
      • found: Memorable Manitobans, WWW site, viewed Feb. 15, 2013(Trained in Arts and Mining at McGill University in Montreal, he worked in the mining industry in British Columbia and Ontario, teaching in the School of Mines at Haileybury, Ontario from 1913 to 1915. In the latter year, he joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force and served in France and Belgium, winning promotion to the rank of Captain. Upon his discharge in 1919, he returned to Haileybury. He joined the Ontario Department of Mines in 1920 and worked as a mine inspector. He came to Manitoba in 1928, at the suggestion of R. C. Wallace, to become Chief Inspector of mines in Manitoba. With the transfer of natural resources from the federal government to Manitoba in 1930, he was appointed Director of the Mines Branch in the newly established Department of Mines and Natural Resources, holding the position until his retirement in November 1945. He served as Vice-President (1933-34) and President (1936-37) of the Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, being made a Life Member in 1945. He was also a Life Member of the Engineering Institute of Canada, and Chairman of its Winnipeg Branch (1930-31). He served two terms as President of the Professional Engineers of Manitoba (1941, 1944). He was a member of the Masons and the Canadian Legion. He died at Winnipeg on 11 December 1957 and was buried at Clarence, Ontario. - http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/people/cole_ge.shtml
    • General Notes

      • [Trained in Arts and Mining at McGill University in Montreal, he worked in the mining industry in British Columbia and Ontario, teaching in the School of Mines at Haileybury, Ontario from 1913 to 1915. In the latter year, he joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force and served in France and Belgium, winning promotion to the rank of Captain. Upon his discharge in 1919, he returned to Haileybury. He joined the Ontario Department of Mines in 1920 and worked as a mine inspector. He came to Manitoba in 1928, at the suggestion of R. C. Wallace, to become Chief Inspector of mines in Manitoba. With the transfer of natural resources from the federal government to Manitoba in 1930, he was appointed Director of the Mines Branch in the newly established Department of Mines and Natural Resources, holding the position until his retirement in November 1945. He served as Vice-President (1933-34) and President (1936-37) of the Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, being made a Life Member in 1945. He was also a Life Member of the Engineering Institute of Canada, and Chairman of its Winnipeg Branch (1930-31). He served two terms as President of the Professional Engineers of Manitoba (1941, 1944). He was a member of the Masons and the Canadian Legion. He died at Winnipeg on 11 December 1957 and was buried at Clarence, Ontario.]
    • Change Notes

      • 2013-02-15: new
      • 2014-04-04: revised
    • Alternate Formats