The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File (LCNAF)

Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School (Carrollton, Ga.)


  • [The Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School was established in December, 1906 in Carroll County, Georgia following the August 18, 1906 approval of Public Law 448 by the Georgia General Assembly, an act providing for the establishment and maintenance of schools of agriculture and mechanical arts to serve rural youth in each congressional district. The school operated from 1908-1933, becoming West Georgia College on April 15, 1933. It remained a college until noon on June 12, 1996, when it was named the State University of West Georgia. This name changed in 2005 to University of West Georgia.]

  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • Fourth District A. & M. School (Carrollton, Ga.)
  • Additional Information

  • Later Established Forms

  • Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Sources

    • found: Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School records, 1891-2011:history note (Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School)
    • found: Catalog, n.d.:cover (The Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School, Carrollton, Georgia)
    • found: The first annual announcement of the Agricultural and Mechanical School of the Fourth Congressional District, July 25, 1907:cover (Agricultural and Mechanical School of the Fourth Congressional District, Carrollton, Georgia)
    • found: Fourth District A. & M. School, 1909-1910:cover (Fourth District A. & M. School)
  • General Notes

    • [The Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School was established in December, 1906 in Carroll County, Georgia following the August 18, 1906 approval of Public Law 448 by the Georgia General Assembly, an act providing for the establishment and maintenance of schools of agriculture and mechanical arts to serve rural youth in each congressional district. The school operated from 1908-1933, becoming West Georgia College on April 15, 1933. It remained a college until noon on June 12, 1996, when it was named the State University of West Georgia. This name changed in 2005 to University of West Georgia.]
  • Change Notes

    • 2015-05-13: new
    • 2015-05-15: revised
  • Alternate Formats