The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File (LCNAF)

Misión Nuestra Señora del Pilar de la Paz Airapí (La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico)


  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • El Pilar (Mission : La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico)
    • Misión de la Paz Airapí (La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico)
    • Misión de Nuestra Señora del Pilar de la Paz Airapí (La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico)
    • Misión Nuestra Señora de la Paz (La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico)
    • Mission La Paz (La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico)
    • Mission Nuestra Señora del Pilar (La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico)
    • Nuestra Señora del Pilar (Mission : La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico)
    • Santa Cruz (Mission : La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico)
    • Santa Rita (Mission : La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico)
  • Additional Information

    • Has Affiliation

        • Organization: (naf) Jesuits
        • Organization: (naf) Misión de Todos Santos (Todos Santos, Baja California Sur, Mexico)
    • Descriptor

        (aat) Missions (settlements)
    • Descriptor

    • Associated Locale

        (naf) La Paz (Baja California Sur, Mexico)
  • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

  • Sources

    • found: McDonald, Marquis. Modern church, La Paz, viewed Sept. 8, 2017 - https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb36527277
    • found: Las Misiones antiguas, ©2002:page 79, etc. (Misión Nuestra Señora del Pilar de la Paz Airapí, 1720-1748; Jesuit; founded by fathers Juan de Ugarte, S.J. & Jaime Bravo, S.J.; N24° 09.703ʹ W110° 18.782ʹ; Bravo, with the aid of ... Ugarte, was able to ... permanently establish Misión Nuestra Señora de la Paz on November 3, 1720; temporary shelters and a church were built of available sticks, brush, and palm thatch. The location of this first mission church is not known, but most historians believe it was located near the present plaza and church in the center of modern La Paz; At the time of the Pericú revolt in 1734 ... the Pericú sacked and burned La Paz; The mission was reestablished in 1736; Because of the continued hostility of the Indians and a series of epidemics, the mission was never again fully functional after the Pericú revolt. In 1748, the depleted Indian population and the name Misión Nuestra Señora del Pilar was transferred to Misión Santa Rosa de las Palmas near Todos Santos and the mission at La Paz abandoned)
    • found: Wikipedia, Sept. 8, 2017English page (Misión de Nuestra Señora del Pilar de la Paz Airapí; Mission La Paz was established by the Jesuit missionaries Juan de Ugarte and Jaime Bravo in 1720, at the location of the modern city of La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico; The mission had little success, however. It was sacked in the Pericú Revolt of 1734 and finally abandoned in 1748, when its Indian neophytes were relocated to Todos Santos) Spanish page (Misión de la Paz Airapí; La misión de Nuestra Señora del Pilar de la Paz de Airapí; established 1720; abandoned 1749)
    • found: McDonald, Marquis. Baja, 1968:page 97, etc. (In 1720, Mission Nuestra Señora del Pilar was established by the Jesuits at what is now La Paz; "The mission was on a site now occupied by a modern building ... The ruins were quite prominent when I was a boy, but they've been completely destroyed and covered over by the building. Several artifacts were unearthed when the excavations were made. The mission had been called first Santa Cruz and later Santa Rita." He further indicated that this mission was used only a short time, then abandoned, with its converts moved to Todos Santos where a new mission assumed its name of El Pilar; The present church at La Paz is a very large and impressive structure, built in 1858) page 158 (Nuestra Señora del Pilar)
    • found: Discoverbaja.com, Sept. 8, 2017(Nuestra Señora del Pilar de la Paz (1720-1748 at Airapí); The seventh California mission was founded by two Jesuit padres: Jaime Bravo and Juan de Ugarte. The site was near the shore of La Paz Bay and locally known as Airapí; In 1748, the mission was moved to Todos Santos, replacing the younger Santa Rosa mission already there. Officially the mission name remained Nuestra Señora del Pilar de la Paz, but it was nearly always called Todos Santos after the move; No remains of the original Pilar de la Paz mission at La Paz Bay are known to exist, however a plaque on a La Paz city side street marks a possible location. The modern church in La Paz is sometimes called the mission site, but it is 3 blocks to the north and one block east from the plaque. Some local historians believe the mission was even a little further south where old sketches showed palms growing)
  • Change Notes

    • 2017-09-12: new
    • 2017-09-13: revised
  • Alternate Formats