The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File (LCNAF)

State University of West Georgia


  • [The Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School was established in December, 1906 in Carroll County, Georgia following the August 18, 1906 approval of Public Law 448 by the Georgia General Assembly, an act providing for the establishment and maintenance of schools of agriculture and mechanical arts to serve rural youth in each congressional district. The school operated from 1908-1933, becoming West Georgia College on April 15, 1933. It remained a college until noon on June 12, 1996, when it was named the State University of West Georgia. This name changed in 2005 to University of West Georgia.]

  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • Georgia. State University of West Georgia
    • UWG
  • Additional Information

    • Later Established Forms

    • Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

    • Earlier Established Forms

    • Sources

      • found: Perspective (State University of West Georgia), summer 1996:t.p. (State University of West Georgia, name changed from West Georgia College to State University of West Georgia on Wed. June 12, 1996 at noon) back cover (State University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA 30118-6100); winter 1997: p. 3 (UWG chosen as acronym for State University of West Georgia)
      • notfound: Set your fields on fire [SR] 2005: container (University of West Georgia; Carrollton, GA)
    • General Notes

      • [The Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School was established in December, 1906 in Carroll County, Georgia following the August 18, 1906 approval of Public Law 448 by the Georgia General Assembly, an act providing for the establishment and maintenance of schools of agriculture and mechanical arts to serve rural youth in each congressional district. The school operated from 1908-1933, becoming West Georgia College on April 15, 1933. It remained a college until noon on June 12, 1996, when it was named the State University of West Georgia. This name changed in 2005 to University of West Georgia.]
    • Change Notes

      • 1997-04-11: new
      • 2015-05-17: revised
    • Alternate Formats