- USE Here are entered works about opéra comique. Musical compositions in this form are entered under the heading [Operas.]
- Opéra comique français
Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes
- found: Work cat.: 00522864: Mooser, R. L'opéra-comique français en Russie au XVIIIe siècle, 1954.
- found: New Grove (Opéra comique: term used from the early 18th century for French stage works with spoken dialogue interspersed with songs and other musical numbers ... by the late 19th century it usually had continuous music. The genre was specially associated with the Paris theatre, and the company connected with it, known as the Opéra-Comique.)
- found: New Grove dict. of opera (Opéra comique: term for a French stage work of the 18th, 19th, or 20th centuries with vocal and instrumental music and spoken dialogue (although it may also include recitative))
- found: Oxford dict. of opera (Opéra-comique (Fr.: Comic opera))
- found: Web. 3 (Opéra comique)
- found: New Harvard dict. of music (Opéra comique: an opera on a French text with musical numbers separated by spoken dialogue. In the 18th century, the treatment of the subject matter ... was likely to be lighthearted or sentimental. In the 19th century ... plots incorporated serious or tragic events. The adjective 'comique' is divorced from the notion of the comic or humorous and refers only to the presence of spoken dialogue.)
USE Here are entered works about opéra comique. Musical compositions in this form are entered under the heading [Operas.]
- 2000-08-31: new
- 2000-10-13: revised
The LC Linked Data Service welcomes any suggestions you might have about terminology used for a given heading or concept.
Would you like to suggest a change to this heading?
Please provide your name, email, and your suggestion so that we can begin assessing any terminology changes.
Fields denoted with an asterisk (*) are required.