- Here are entered works on films designed to impart skills or techniques to general audiences, typically in a "how-to" manner. Works about films intended for teaching and informational purposes, especially those made for classroom viewing, are entered under [Educational films.]
- How-to films
- Informational films
- Skill films
- Training films
- Motion pictures
Earlier Established Forms
- found: Work cat.: See the cites with CINAHL [VR] : an instructional video, c1993.
- found: The oboe [VR] : starting right, c1993.
- found: DeLuca, S.M. Instructional video, c1991.
- found: Moving image genre-form guide, via WWW, Mar. 14, 2001 (Instructional: Nonfiction work designed to impart skills or techniques to general audiences, typically in a "how-to" manner. Used for Exercise. For instructional work used within the military, industry, or trades, use Training. If a work is predominantly informative rather than instructional in its emphasis, use Educational. Video examples: Jane Fonda's workout; Ride a horse)
- found: Yee, M.M. Moving image materials, 1988 (Instruction. Use for nonfiction films and video designed to teach, instruct, or train. UF: Televised instruction, Training works, Educational works. RT: Educational/cultural works, Industrial works; under Educational/cultural works: For "how-to" works or works intended to instruct, use Instruction)
- found: Singleton, R.S. Filmmaker's dictionary, c2000 (instructional video: videorecorded presentation that provides training or how-to knowledge. Also called a how-to video, training video, or educational video; training video: instructional videotape that teaches the viewer how to do something. Related term: instructional video)
- found: Konigsberg, I. The complete film dictionary, 1997 (instructional film: Any film with the primary function of teaching the audience how to perform some action or conveying information about some subject. See informational film, skill film, and training film; informational film: any nonfictional film that is intended to supply an audience with information about a certain subject primarily for the purpose of instruction and education)
- found: LC database, Mar. 18, 2001 (ti: Adventures in video : a guide to the best instructional videos; Ethiopian traditional instrument instructional video with music [VR]; The Smothers Brothers yo-yo man instructional video [VR]; Video tax--an instructional video on preparing your 1991 tax returns [VR])
Here are entered works on films designed to impart skills or techniques to general audiences, typically in a "how-to" manner. Works about films intended for teaching and informational purposes, especially those made for classroom viewing, are entered under [Educational films.]
Notes under [Educational films]
- 2001-03-18: new
- 2015-12-01: revised
The LC Linked Data Service welcomes any suggestions you might have about terminology used for a given heading or concept.
Would you like to suggest a change to this heading?
Please provide your name, email, and your suggestion so that we can begin assessing any terminology changes.
Fields denoted with an asterisk (*) are required.