- Here are entered works on films produced with African American casts specifically for African American audiences beginning in the late silent-film days and continuing until the end of the 1940s.
- Race films--United States
- Race movies
- found: Work cat.: That's Black entertainment, c1997: opening credits for v. 1 (Race movies : the early history of Black cinema with three original short films)
- found: Konigsberg, Ira. Complete film dict., 2nd ed. (Race films. A term used to designate films with African American casts made specifically for African American audiences begun in the late silent-film days and continuing until the end of the 1940s.)
- found: Blandford, Steven. Film studies dict., 2001 (Race film. Term used in the American film industry from the silent cinema through the 1940s to refer to movies made by African-American film-makers specifically for African-American audiences.)
- found: Katz, Ephraim. Film enc., 4th ed. (Race movies. Features with all-black casts made specifically for African-American audiences)
- found: Richards, Larry. African American films through 1959: p. 5 (In response to Birth of a nation, efforts began in the African-American community to show a more honest depiction of Black people by producing the first "all-colored cast" feature movies, or "race films.")
Here are entered works on films produced with African American casts specifically for African American audiences beginning in the late silent-film days and continuing until the end of the 1940s.
- 2004-08-30: new
- 2015-12-01: revised
The LC Linked Data Service welcomes any suggestions you might have about terminology used for a given heading or concept.
Would you like to suggest a change to this heading?
Please provide your name, email, and your suggestion so that we can begin assessing any terminology changes.
Fields denoted with an asterisk (*) are required.