- Coat-of-mail shells
Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes
Earlier Established Forms
- found: Common and sci. names of aquatic invertebrates from the U.S. and Canada. Mollusks, 1998: p. 21 (Class Polyplacophora--chitons)
- found: Vaught, K.C. A classification of the living Mollusca, 1989: p. viii (Class Polyplacophora. One order, Neoloricata, with 3 suborders: Lepidopleurina, Ischnochitonina, Acanthochitonina)
- found: Goto, Y. A listing of living Mollusca, 1996: pt. 2, v. 1, p. 26 (Polyplacophora)
- found: Integrated Taxonomic Info. System, Nov. 19, 1999 (Polyplacophora. Vernacular name: not available. Rank: Class. Usage: valid. Synonyms: Amphineura, Loricata. Phylum: Mollusca)
- found: Elsevier's dict. of biology, 1998 (Amphineura, see Polyplacophora; Polyplacophora, polyplacophorans, chitons, a class in the phylum Mollusca. In some classifications, chitons are considered as an order (or subclass) in the class Amphineura)
- found: Lawrence, E. Henderson's dict. of biological terms, 1995: (Amphineura: class of marine molluscs, commonly called chitons; Polyplacophora: a class of molluscs which includes the chitons; chitons: common name for the Polyplacophora, a class of marine molluscs)
- found: Syn. liv. org.: v. 1, p. 953-954 (Class Polyplacophora. Chitons or coat-of-mail shells. Consists of single subclass Neoloricata. Three orders: Lepidopleurida, Ischnochitonida, Acanthochitonida)
- 1986-02-11: new
- 2000-04-19: revised
The LC Linked Data Service welcomes any suggestions you might have about terminology used for a given heading or concept.
Would you like to suggest a change to this heading?
Please provide your name, email, and your suggestion so that we can begin assessing any terminology changes.
Fields denoted with an asterisk (*) are required.