- Butternuts (Copperhead movement)
- Copperhead (Nickname)
- Peace Democrats (Copperhead movement)
Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes
Earlier Established Forms
Copperhead (Nickname)Copperhead (Nickname)
- found: NUCMC data from Tulane Univ. Lib. (New Orleans, La.) for Stibbs family. Papers, 1819-1975 (includes material about attitudes towards the Copperheads)
- found: LC data base, 9/20/93: under heading Copperhead (Nickname) (Copperheads, Copperhead movement)
- found: Hurwitz, H.L. An encyc. dict. of Am. hist., c1968: p. 86 (Butternuts: used as a term of contempt to describe the "Peace Democrats" in the North during the Civil War; more commonly known as Copperheads)
- found: Dict. of Am. hist., c1976: v. 2, p. 222 (Copperheads: during the Civil War, described Democrats opposed to the war policy of President Abraham Lincoln; sometimes known as Butternuts or Peace Democrats)
- found: Random House (Copperheadism)
- found: Am. heritage (Copperhead)
- found: Britannica Micro. (Copperhead movement)
- 1986-02-11: new
- 1997-04-30: revised
The LC Linked Data Service welcomes any suggestions you might have about terminology used for a given heading or concept.
Would you like to suggest a change to this heading?
Please provide your name, email, and your suggestion so that we can begin assessing any terminology changes.
Fields denoted with an asterisk (*) are required.