- Classical music, North Indian
- Hindustani classical music
- Music, Hindustani
- North Indian classical music
Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes
Earlier Established Forms
Music, HindustaniMusic, Hindustani
- found: New Grove dict. of mus.: v. 9, p. 73 (In South Asia there are two recognized dialects of classical music. Hindustani (or north Indian) ... for the region where Indo-Aryan languages are spoken (including Pakistan and Bangladesh), that is, the Indo-Gangeti plain with the north-western quadrant of the peninsula)
- found: New Harvard dict. of mus.: South Asia (... Hindustani and Carnatic systems. The former is prevalent in northern, Indo-Aryan-speaking areas of the subcontinent, including Pakistan, Bangladesh, and less significantly, Afghanistan and Nepal and among the Sinhalese inhabitants of Sri Lanka.)
- found: New Grove dict. of mus. WWW site, Jan. 20, 2010: (The classical music of north India.)
- 2000-09-26: new
- 2010-02-19: revised
The LC Linked Data Service welcomes any suggestions you might have about terminology used for a given heading or concept.
Would you like to suggest a change to this heading?
Please provide your name, email, and your suggestion so that we can begin assessing any terminology changes.
Fields denoted with an asterisk (*) are required.