Paraguayan War, 1865-1870
Paraguayan War, 1865-1870
- Great War, 1865-1870
- Triple Alliance, War of the, 1865-1870
- War of Paraguay, 1865-1870
- War of the Triple Alliance, 1865-1870
- found: Work cat.: 2014512478: Seré, A.F. Antecedentes y causas de la guerra con el Paraguay, 2014: front flap (Guerra de la Triple Alianza [War of the Triple Alliance])
- found: Encyclopedia of Latin American history and culture, c1996 (War of the Triple Alliance (Great War, Paraguayan War), the protracted conflict (November 1864-March 1970) in which Paraguay fought to preserve its sovereignty from Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay; Brazil precipitated the conflict by invading Uruguay and interfering in its domestic affairs; in response Paraguayan dictator Francisco Solano López closed the Paraguay River to Brazilian traffic [and took other actions in conflict with Brazil and Argentina]; the victory of the Colorados, the liberal party in Uruguay, which Brazil supported, [and other factors] led to an alliance of Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay, which declared war against Paraguay on 1 May 1865; describes Paraguayan military actions in Brazil and Argentina in 1865; within six months the allies halted the Paraguayan offensive and thereafter kept the war confined to Paraguay)
- found: Kolinski, C.J. Historical dictionary of Paraguay, 1973 (Triple Alliance, War of the; see also Paraguayan War and Guerra de '70; known in history by its three names, "Guerra de '70" being preferred in Paraguay; lasting five and a half years between November, 1864, and March, 1870, it remains a basic water-mark in Paraguay's history, as well as in that of the Plata region; also a longer entry under Guerra de '70 and a shorter one under Paraguayan War)
- found: Levine, R.M. Historical dictionary of Brazil, 1979 (Paraguayan War; also known as the War of the Triple Alliance, the fray (1865-70) pitted Paraguay against the combined forces of Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil)
- found: Willis, J.L. Historical dictionary of Uruguay, 1974 (Paraguay, War of 1864-1870; war between Paraguay and the combined forces of Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil which was begun at the end of 1864 and lasted until 1870)
- found: Wright, I.S. Historical dictionary of Argentina, 1978 (Paraguayan War (War of the Triple Alliance), 1865-1870; involving Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina, and Brazil)
- 1986-02-11: new
- 2016-06-02: revised
The LC Linked Data Service welcomes any suggestions you might have about terminology used for a given heading or concept.
Would you like to suggest a change to this heading?
Please provide your name, email, and your suggestion so that we can begin assessing any terminology changes.
Fields denoted with an asterisk (*) are required.