- Here are entered works on continuo. Musical compositions with continuo accompaniment are entered under headings that include the term "continuo" as a medium of performance, e.g. [Trio sonatas (Violins (2), continuo).]
- Basso continuo
- Figured bass
- Thorough bass
- Through bass
Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes
Earlier Established Forms
Thorough bassThorough bass
- found: New Grove, 2nd ed. WWW site, Mar. 27, 2002 (Thoroughbass: the Italian and more original term "basso continuo" has now largely replaced "thoroughbass" as (1) the English term for the art of accompaniment from a figured bass line, and (2) the name or label for such a bass line when issued as an instrumental part. Basso continuo: see Continuo)
- found: New Harvard dict. mus. (thoroughbass, figured bass (Italian: basso continuo))
- found: Web. 3 (thorough bass: continuo)
- found: Amer. heritage dict., 3rd ed. (thoroughbass or thorough bass: see continuo)
Here are entered works on continuo. Musical compositions with continuo accompaniment are entered under headings that include the term "continuo" as a medium of performance, e.g. [Trio sonatas (Violins (2), continuo).]
- 2002-03-27: new
- 2002-05-24: revised
The LC Linked Data Service welcomes any suggestions you might have about terminology used for a given heading or concept.
Would you like to suggest a change to this heading?
Please provide your name, email, and your suggestion so that we can begin assessing any terminology changes.
Fields denoted with an asterisk (*) are required.