- Here are entered works on prejudicial attitudes or assumptions held by heterosexuals concerning homosexuals or homosexuality as well as works on the presumption that everyone is heterosexual and that heterosexuality is the only normal sexual orientation. Works on active discrimination against, or aversion to, homosexuals are entered under [Homophobia.]
- found: Gay studies thesaurus.
- found: Lesbian periodicals index.
- found: Meggio, R. Dict. of bias-free usage.
- found: Women's thesaurus.
- found: Hennepin.
- found: Ox. dict. new words.
- found: Wikipedia, via WWW, May 1, 2005: Heterosexism (A belief or argument that male-female sexuality is the only natural or moral mode of sexual behavior ... The word "heterosexualism" has also been proposed to mean essentially the same thing. This word has been suggested as alternative to homophobia, in part because it uses a parallel structure to sexism or racism ... A true parallel construction can be found in the word sexualism. Heterosexism should not be confused with the more semantically precise heterocentrism, which is an (often subconscious) assumption that everyone is heterosexual, and the attitudes associated with that assumption. In queer theory, the term heterocentrism is closely related to heteronormativity.) Heteronormativity (Heteronormativity is a term used in the discussion of gender and society, mostly, but not exclusively within the field of critical theory. It is used to describe, and, frequently, to criticize how many social institutions and social policies are seen to reinforce certain beliefs. These include the belief that human beings fall into two distinct and complementary categories, male and female; that sexual and marital relations are normal only when between two people of different genders; and that each gender has certain natural roles in life. Thus, physical sex, gender identity, and gender roles, should in any given person all align to either male or female norms, and heterosexuality is considered to be the only normal sexual orientation.)
- found: Sexual prejudice : understanding homophobia and heterosexism, via WWW, May 1, 2005 (heterosexism began to be used as a term analogous to sexism and racism, describing an ideological system that denies, denigrates, and stigmatizes any nonheterosexual form of behavior, identity, relationship, or community. Using the term heterosexism highlights the parallels between antigay sentiment and other forms of prejudice, such as racism, antisemitism, and sexism.)
- found: The heterosexism enquirer, via WWW, May 1, 2005 (the assumption that only heterosexual relationships are normal and should therefore be privileged)
- found: Felluga, D. Introductory guide to critical theory, via WWW, May 1, 2005: gender & sex/terms & concepts (heteronormativity: Those punitive rules (social, familial, and legal) that force us to conform to hegemonic, heterosexual standards for identity. The term is a short version of "normative heterosexuality.")
- found: Dennis, J.P. Heteronormativity, via WWW, May 1, 2005 (Michael Warner coined the term heteronormativity to refer to the practice of organizing patterns of thought, basic awareness, and raw beliefs around the presumption of universal heterosexual desire, behavior, and identity.)
Here are entered works on prejudicial attitudes or assumptions held by heterosexuals concerning homosexuals or homosexuality as well as works on the presumption that everyone is heterosexual and that heterosexuality is the only normal sexual orientation. Works on active discrimination against, or aversion to, homosexuals are entered under [Homophobia.]
Note under [Homophobia]
- 2005-05-01: new
- 2012-05-03: revised
The LC Linked Data Service welcomes any suggestions you might have about terminology used for a given heading or concept.
Would you like to suggest a change to this heading?
Please provide your name, email, and your suggestion so that we can begin assessing any terminology changes.
Fields denoted with an asterisk (*) are required.