- Here are entered musical works composed, performed, and produced by and for women and often associated with the lesbian feminist movement in the United States. Musical works about feminism and women's rights are entered under [Feminist music.] Musical works about women are entered under [Women--Songs and music.] Collections of musical works composed by women are entered under [Music by women composers.]
- Lesbian music
- Women-identified music
- Women's music--United States
- Womyn's music
Earlier Established Forms
Lesbian musicLesbian music
- found: Morris, B.J. Eden built by Eves ; the culture of women's music festivals, 1999: p. xi, etc. (women's music; womyn's music; women-identified music; women's music festivals have played an integral part of the formation of lesbian culture)
- found: All-music guide WWW site, June 15, 1999 (women's music: music about issues important to women, as performed by women; a genre of music founded by lesbians)
- found: RILM abstract 88-11466-ac FirstSearch, June 15, 1999 (women-identified music began as femisist and lesbian lyrics accompanied by the popular musical styles of the early 1970s. Recording and distribution companies were soon formed to insure women's total control over their music. These companies promoted tours and sponsored large festivals to showcase women's music)
- found: RILM abstract 86-03419-ap in FirstSearch, June 15, 1999 (women's music (also called women-identified music), lesbian music, or womansong)
- found: Jones, S.H. Kaleidoscope notes, c1998: p. 8 (women's music: music created and performed by women that depicts, embodies, and portrays women as strong and persistent) p. 50 (the term "women's music" used to be synonymous with ... women-run labels that featured lesbian musicians and lesbian themes ... although women's music has certainly broadened quite a bit; the category of women's music [is used] to let people know there may be largely lesbian audience) p. 60 ("women's music" has emerged as the most inclusive and least socially charged phrase among industry representatives, artists, and audiences (as opposed to expressions such as "lesbian music," "women-identified music," and "womansong"; it is still a term that serves as a password for lesbian and feminist communities; women's music is a by virtue of its very existence a political statement) p. 61 (in addition to exploring lesbian sexuality, women's music also explores women's oppression and women's struggle to resist this oppression)
- found: Women & music, c1991: p. 278 (women-identified music; women's music; began in the 1960s as a conscious expression of the singular experience of a musician as a woman. That it is feminist music implies a political end--the redifinition of the status of women in popular culture and in the mass media)
- found: Post, L. Backstage pass, c1997: p. 5 (Women's music is ... ultimately connected to the gay and feminist movements)
- found: Ladyslipper WWW site, June 15, 1999 (women's music: music by, for & about women; lesbian music)
Here are entered musical works composed, performed, and produced by and for women and often associated with the lesbian feminist movement in the United States. Musical works about feminism and women's rights are entered under [Feminist music.] Musical works about women are entered under [Women--Songs and music.] Collections of musical works composed by women are entered under [Music by women composers.]
Notes under [Feminist music; Music by women composers; Women--Songs and music]
- 1993-07-14: new
- 1999-11-09: revised
The LC Linked Data Service welcomes any suggestions you might have about terminology used for a given heading or concept.
Would you like to suggest a change to this heading?
Please provide your name, email, and your suggestion so that we can begin assessing any terminology changes.
Fields denoted with an asterisk (*) are required.