- Nazi persecution
- Gay Holocaust
- Gay men--Nazi persecution
- Holocaust, Gay
- Nazi persecution of gay men
- Nazi persecution of gays
Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes
- found: LC database, May 10, 1995 (usage: Nazi persecution (9 hits); subdivision --Persecutions; Nazi hunters)
- found: MAGS, May 10, 1995 (usage: persecutions under other victims of the Holocaust)
- found: WWW, May 5, 1998 (usage in titles retrieved by Alta Vista search: Gay Holocaust; Nazi persecution of gays)
- found: "Researcher says Nazi persecution not systematic," The Washington Blade, May 22, 1998: p. 10 ("A leading researcher on Gays and the Holocaust told an audience at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum on May 17  that records show that the Nazi persecution of Gays was not systematic, as was the campaign to exterminate all Jews. Nevertheless, he said, Gay Germans faced a horrifying, 12-year period that included routine arrests, interrogations, imprisonment, and beatings. And a number of Gay men, he said, were subjected to forced castrations. John Fout, professor of history at New York's Bard College, said his research shows that about 50,000 men were imprisoned for homosexual related "offenses" by the Nazis between 1933 and 1945.")
- found: Nazi persecution of homosexuals, 1933-1945, via WWW, Nov. 24, 2002: introd. (campaign of persecution and violence against the homosexuals of Germany; Nazi campaign against homosexuality targeted the more than one million German men who, the state asserted, carried a "degeneracy" that threatened the "disciplined masculinity" of Germany; more than 100,000 men were arrested under a broadly interpreted law against homosexuality; approx. 50,000 men served prison terms, while an unknown no. were institutionalized in mental hospitals; between 5,000 and 15,000 homosexual men were imprisoned in concentration camps, where many died; lesbians were not systematically persecuted under Nazi rule, but they nonetheless did suffer the loss of their own gathering places and associations)
- 2002-11-24: new
- 2003-01-10: revised
The LC Linked Data Service welcomes any suggestions you might have about terminology used for a given heading or concept.
Would you like to suggest a change to this heading?
Please provide your name, email, and your suggestion so that we can begin assessing any terminology changes.
Fields denoted with an asterisk (*) are required.