The Library of Congress > Linked Data Service > LC Name Authority File (LCNAF)

Izi︠a︡slav (Ukraine)


  • URI(s)

  • Instance Of

  • Scheme Membership(s)

  • Collection Membership(s)

  • Variants

    • Izyaslav (Ukraine)
    • Izyaslavlʹ (Ukraine)
    • Izi︠a︡slavlʹ (Ukraine)
    • Zaslav (Ukraine)
  • Additional Information

    • Exact Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

    • Closely Matching Concepts from Other Schemes

    • Earlier Established Forms

      • Izi︠a︡slavlʹ (Ukraine)
    • Sources

      • found: Miroli︠u︡bov, M.A. Drevnerusskiĭ gorod Izi︠a︡slavlʹ, 1983.
      • found: BGN called, 4-4-86(Izyaslav, ppl. 50°07ʹN; 26°48ʹE; variant form: Izyaslavlʹ (former spelling))
      • found: Bolʹsh. sov. ėnt︠s︡., 3d ed.:v. 10, p. 120 (Izi︠a︡slavlʹ, early Rus city on the Eastern border of the Volynskai︠a︡ zemli︠a︡ ... Shepetovskiĭ raĭon, Khmelʹnit︠s︡ kai︠a︡ oblastʹ, Ukraine)
      • found: Rad. ent︠s︡ykl. istoriï Ukraïny:v. 2, p. 243 (Izi︠a︡slav (colloquial Zaslav); city in Khmelʹnyt︠s︡ʹka oblastʹ, and center of Izi︠a︡slavsʹkyĭ raĭon. Founded in 987 by Kievan Prince Volodymyr Svi︠a︡toslavych. In the 13th and first half of the 14th cent. it became part of the Halyt︠s︡ʹko-Volynsʹke kni︠a︡zivstvo. In the 2nd half of the 14th cent. the town was seized by Lithuania, then after 1569 it was ceded to Poland. After the 2nd partition of Poland in 1793 Izi︠a︡slav, as part of Right-Bank Ukraine, was reunited with Russia. From 1793 to 1795 Izi︠a︡slav was the center of a viceregency, and from 1795 to 1797 it was the county center of Volynsʹke namisnyt︠s︡tvo; then from 1797 the center of Volynsʹka hubernii︠a︡. Soviet authority was established on 12-02-1917. In 1918 the city was occupied by Austro-Hungarian troops and later by the Petlurists, but on 04-11-1919 it was liberated by the Red Army. In Aug. 1919 the city was seized by Polish forces but again liberated by Soviet forces that same month, only to be retaken by Poland that September. In Nov. 1920 a part of Izi︠a︡slav was liberated. From 1923 to 1932 Izi︠a︡slav was a rayon center in the Shepetivsʹkyĭ okruh. From 1932 to 1937 it was part of Vinnyt︠s︡ʹka oblastʹ; then from 1937 to 1954 it belonged to Kam'i︠a︡net︠s︡ʹ-Podilʹsʹka oblastʹ (which was renamed the Khmelʹnyt︠s︡ʹka oblastʹ in 1954))
    • Change Notes

      • 1986-04-17: new
      • 2010-05-15: revised
    • Alternate Formats