- Here are entered works on films produced especially for a teenage audience (i.e., the general age range of thirteen through eighteen years) and films with teenagers and teen issues as the primary subject.
- Teen cinema
- Teen drama (Motion pictures)
- Teen movies
- Teen-targeted films
- Teenage films
- Teenage movies
- Young adult films
- Youth films
Earlier Established Forms
Young adult filmsYoung adult films
- found: Work cat.: Shary, T. Teen movies, 2005: p. 2 (the 1980s produced a more codified approach to teen films, as Hollywood and independent studios systematically developed different youth subgenres to depict an increasingly diverse array of teen experiences) p. 3 (while the "teen film" would take some time to become a genre, its effects would be abundantly evident by the late 1930s) p. 7 (lack of an established teen cinema before the 1930s) p. 29 (teen film subgenres: in addition to hot-rod films, rock movies, beach movies, teen horror, and teen melodramas)
- found: Lewis, J. The road to romance & ruin : teen films and youth culture, 1992: p. 2 (films about teenagers, not films targeted at teenagers; teen-targeted films)
- found: Wikipedia, Dec. 16, 2005 (The teen film (also called teen movie or teenpic) is a film genre in which the plot is based upon the special interests of teenagers, such as the coming of age, first love, rebellion, and conflict with parents. Sexual themes are common, and in recent years the gross-out comedy has become a popular subgenre.)
- found: Lopez, D. Films by genre, 1993: p. 331 (Teen movie ("Juve" movie, Teenage movie, Teenpic, Youth picture). Exploitation pictures addressed to youngsters in their teens ... some are genuine dramatic expositions of teen circles. Related entries: Exploitation film, juvenile delinquency film, motorcycle movie, Rock film, Youth film)
- found: Yee, M. Moving image materials, 1988: p. 97 (Teen drama. Fictional genre films and programs produced primarily for a teenaged audience. UF Beach party drama, Surfer drama, High school comedies. BT Fiction. NT Juvenile delinquency drama, rock and roll musicals. RT College drama, Horror drama, Motorcycle gang drama, Paukerfilme, Psychopath drama)
- found: The Breakfast Club generation website, Dec. 16, 2005: movies aimed at teenagers (the classic "teenpic" genre falls within a broader category of "exploitation films"; teen movies; teen films)
- found: Shary, T. Generation multiplex, 2002: p. 19 ("I use the label 'youth films' to refer to the entire universe of films made about young people. While I often label this population as 'young adults,' I will occasionally divide 'teens' from '20-somethings' when such a distinction is demanded.)
Here are entered works on films produced especially for a teenage audience (i.e., the general age range of thirteen through eighteen years) and films with teenagers and teen issues as the primary subject.
- 2005-12-20: new
- 2015-12-01: revised
The LC Linked Data Service welcomes any suggestions you might have about terminology used for a given heading or concept.
Would you like to suggest a change to this heading?
Please provide your name, email, and your suggestion so that we can begin assessing any terminology changes.
Fields denoted with an asterisk (*) are required.